Uncle Don's Blog

A place to rant and rave, a place to have my say, to put in my two cents, to provoke opinions and reactions from my friends (seasoned and fresh)... and my critics, too.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Waterville, Maine, United States

Computer programmer, chess player and movie buff

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Shut Down Days and Governors

I know I haven't written for a while. I have been busy. Very busy. But it's not like I haven't been listening and watching what has been going on in the world. For example, I learned late last night that Governor Palin has decided to quit her job. And recently I heard on the radio that a Governor had a high-profile disappearing act (in Argentina). And that another Governor has some kind of issue. Great time to be a tabloid owner. Tough time to be an Alaskan, etc. Though maybe they are better off this way (as she suggested in her lawn conference). I couldn't help agreeing with CNN's questioner about the basketball analogy (nor could I help agreeing with just about everyone's analysis that this looks a lot like shooting yourself in the foot). But I digress...

Through the miracle of modern financial incompetence (and the truly pathetic process of the government trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again), I have an extra day off soon (making it four in a row, not an unwelcome nor unlucky number by any means). This has given me time to learn a few more things about CSS, HTML and JavaScript (and the various libraries that are available to make web development easier, or at least more interesting). I still have no clue why I get the 500 Internal Error and why I can't find a place to stop the processing in the debugger, but I have a whole new bag of tricks to tackle that problem when I get back to my desk. And I am hoping to figure out why the up and down widgets don't show up in the next few hours.

Even with all that (and my little web page that I built because FaceBook just can't handle what I was trying to do), plus shopping, cooking, sleeping, watching the New Adventures of Horatio Hornblower [Loyalty] and some Warner Brothers mountie film from the late 1930s (which suggests that probably all mounties know how to sing), plus taking time to walk and have a leisurely breakfast [boy, this sentence is getting really long], even with all that, I still have tomorrow to ride around after my pedicure, enjoying the beautiful scenery before I get an extra day off (at my expense, it is true) to do whatever I want! Within reason. So among the other benefits of this unexpected time windfall [I should probably trademark that phrase], I had time to write this blog entry. And for that I am truly grateful.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Reaganite Republican said...

Palin’s move just puts yet more pressure on Obama to finally get some results, as the soaring rhetoric isn’t hypnotizing the plebes like it used to. This week Helen Thomas, Colin Powell, and Warren Buffet all turned on him. Polls are looking droopy for The One lately.

Obama’s porkulus program is a train wreck, all it’s done is bump interest rates and tank the dollar. We are being laughed at by bad guys like Tehran, Pyongyang, and Al Qaida who amazingly turned-down Barack’s timid friend-requests.

Palin could trounce him in 2012, when Americans would vote for the Gipper-in-Heels in droves- while begging for lower taxes, free enterpise, a defense posture with some backbone… an end to the radical, anti-American nightmare we’ve got now.

Go get ‘em Sarah-

http://reaganiterepublicanresistance.blogspot.com

1:29 PM  
Blogger Uncle Don said...

Thanks for the thoughtful alternative interpretation to my reaction to Governor Palin's decision to resign. I took the liberty of visiting your blog and I can see that you are quite serious about your political opinions. My crystal ball is in the shop, but I think it's a bit early to imagine what might happen in 2012. I am still working up a forecast for next week!

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home